Tuesday 3 January 2012

My love affair with Amazon

Like all affairs, it is not always easy. Amazon is a fickle lover - one day I am rising the ranks, flushed with the excitement of seeing my sales increase and Amazon feeds me sweet statistics, telling me sales of Sacrificial Man are up 2000% (with my stunted maths knowledge I didn't even know that was possible...) Other days I will log on, blissfully ignorant of the horror that waits in the form of a scathing review. I see the star ranking first, and sometimes log off, refusing to scroll lower and read the damning reviews. Once I did this and, after restraining myself for three and a quarter hours, burst out during a family walk, "I got a shit review on Amazon." Hubbie, one step ahead as always, nodded sagely. "Yes. I saw." So, at the stroke of twelve on New Year's Eve I released my Chinese lantern into the air and resolved: I will NOT look at Amazon. I will beat this obsession. The book is the point. I worked hard, and I'm pleased with the end result. Let that be enough. Oh, fool, that I was.... Today a friend e-mailed me to ask if I knew my books are currently 99p on the spurned site? Then I saw this on my publisher's site: The Woman Before Me - 25 in the Amazon Kindle Chart Coming into the office this morning it was fantastic to see that The Woman Before Me by Ruth Dugdall is currently number 25 in the Amazon Kindle chart. The book is currently being promoted by Amazon for 99p. It is fantastic to see this brilliant book doing so well... even beating Stieg Larsson, P.D. James and Martina Cole in the rankings. If you haven't read it yet, make sure you pick up a copy and let us know what you think So, back I go, to the arms of Amazon. Still scared to scroll down too far, doing it with one eye half-closed horror-film style. My resolution broken, and it's only January 3rd.

2 comments:

  1. I recently bought The Woman Before Me for 99p from Amazon, and I'm sure I didn't see one bad review! I have now recommended it to everybody, such a brilliant, heartbreaking story, and told with such skill - I haven't cried after reading a book like that for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for that feedback! x

    ReplyDelete